11/13/08

Dumb Americans

Last night, I was watching The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, and his segment on Jaywalking. This is when he walks around asking random people questions that they should know, like "What's the capital of Mexico?" and "What is the Yukon?" and "Where does champagne come from?".

I am surprised at the stupidity of the general public. No, not surprised, more like frustrated. Don't these people feel really dumb that they can't answer the most basic questions about the world, things they should have learned in grade school? Don't they realize that they are completely out of touch with the rest of the world?

One woman condescendingly said she hated that segment because she can't believe how many dumb people there are out there. What she doesn't realize, or won't admit, is that she is one of them, which she demonstrated by her utter lack of knowledge!

Are we really that ignorant about how dumb we are? Has it come to a point where we just refuse to see that we're one of the most educated countries with some of the most clueless people?

I know it's always easier to look at someone else and point out their flaws. But shouldn't most people's concerns be on themselves? I'd be appalled and embarassed if I was caught on national television and couldn't answer any trivia questions about the world! I guess what I'm wondering is, where is the shame, the humility? Why are we accepting mediocre of ourselves?

PS- In case you were wondering, the answers are Mexico City, a sparsely populated territory in northwest Canada, and a region in the north of France.

2 comments:

Build Green NH said...

I'm blaming it on the Bossa Nova ;)

No, seriously, people are becoming dumber due to technology...it's created a TRES lazy society. Why learn when you can google? Everything is seconds based so it never sticks. Seriously, I'm moving to Britain...how's that British lingo workin' for you? Quite nice? ;)

NHGirl said...

SNOG