LB isn't a vegetarian, or a carnivore, or an herbivore. He's what I call a cracker-tarian.
The kid only eats foods that are brown or tan and very crispy and crunchy... aka, crackers. He'll drink milk and eat yogurt, which I'm thankful for, but forget meat and veggies (and some fruits). So I set out on a quest to make him eat veggies.
First, I tried to offer them nicely. Didn't work. Then I demanded he eat them. We had a two day standoff where I only fed him veggies and he didn't eat a single thing. Concerned about his health, I gave in. Next, I checked out Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook, Deceptively Delicious. LB wouldn't eat anything I cooked from that cookbook. I think those recipes would work wonders for kids who are a tiny bit older.
Finally, about to lose my mind, Hubby and I came up with an idea. What if we made a smoothie in the morning and snuck in veggies? Hubby made one concoction, but LB didn't like the texture. I don't blame him- I'm not a pulp person, either. But I thought it was a good idea and we could make it work with a little more ingenuity. Sooooo...
the LB Smoothie was born!
Here's the recipe (I don't measure, so it's approximate, but you can always tweak it):
2 scoops Gerber Banana-Orange medley baby food (about 1/2 cup)
1 scoop Gerber Mixed Vegetables baby food (about 1/4 cup)
2 scoops vanilla yogurt (about 1/2 cup)
8 oz whole milk
Pour it all in a large glass and blend with an immersion blender (or blend it in a blender, whatever). Serve in a really cool sippy cup or something with a cool straw.
LB always asks for seconds! Make sure to use all Stage 1 foods, so they blend really well and don't leave a bunch of chunks. And I haven't played with different fruits, but I'm sure it would taste just as yummy with pears or something. I've tasted it myself, to make sure it doesn't taste too vegetable-y, and I'd totally drink this in the morning, and it's wicked easy to make. Hope this helps any moms of cracker-tarians.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment