1/5/09

OUTBURST!!!!!!!

I've just about had it with this d*** PC!!! When we had a Mac, all I had to do was connect anything, and it knew what it was and how to read it. Now, this PC demands all sorts of software and drivers, and even with that, it still isn't recognizing my camcorder!!

Background: I have a Panasonic PV-GS15 MiniDV camcorder. I'm trying to connect it with my Gateway laptop with Windows XP operating system. According to the owner's manual, all I need to do is insert the CD in the drive and download ArcSoft and the USB driver. Did that. Do you know what ArcSoft is? Software for still pictures. Who buys a camcorder to take still pictures??????

So I went to the Panasonic website. It recommended that I download this other software, which I did (which took 25 minutes). But, it still would not recognize my camcorder. I thought it was a problem with the USB port, so I plugged it into the other port. Nope, still a no go.

Another recommendation on a Panasonic forum was that I needed to buy video editing software. So Hubby and I hit up BestBuy and purchased one that was reviewed well. Much to my dismay, it still didn't work.

Now, I've been trying for two hours to get my d*** PC to recognize this stupid camcorder!!! All I want is to download the video of LB's first Christmas, so I can share it with my friends and family. But it looks like they are all going to have to wait until March, but I can't for the life of me get this piece of s*** to work!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, you tech-savvy people, if you know of anything I can do to get this to work, let me know!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

This is so weird because I just had this EXACT same problem...couldn't get my computer to recognize my older-than-dirt camcorder. It still has the little 8mm tapes and it pretty much flips me the bird everytime I turn it on.

Anyway, it turns out that the "USB Streaming" option on the camera itself was set to "Off." It was in the camera's Menu under "Setup" or something like that. I turned it on and everything worked fine.

Yours is more high-tech so maybe that won't help, but that's what worked for me!