No matter how sick it gets, my dad brings it back to life. It's been nearly thirty years now- way past its prime. I keep convincing my dad that it's time to let it go and just allow it to die peacefully. But he's attached and continues to do whatever he can to keep it going.
My mom isn't too happy about it. She's ready to move on, and to be honest, it's been a thorn in her side for several years now. I don't blame her- it's loud and smelly and always needs a lot of attention. But it just won't die... a true testament to its kind.
I was ready when my dad told me "It's time". When we went to their house, I expect to see a lifeless shell of what had been. Instead, my dad held on to it, and during that weekend had given it some TLC, and found and fixed the real problem. Just this past Saturday, he said it was doing just fine and it was completely healthy. I was worried it would drop dead at a very inopportune time, but it didn't. The thing just won't die.
Long live The Van.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
;)
My uncle has a Corolla from 1985 that he refuses to take to the Giant Junkyard in the Sky... I don't even think the A/C works anymore.
And what a fine van it is, indeed!
OMG are you serious?! I remember riding in it with the deisel fumes - LOL ahhh, good times. Your dad clearly has a thing for the van ;)
Taryn- It barely runs. It takes about three minutes to get from 0-60 (no, really). And the AC is long gone. And the ceiling is held together with duct tape. Awesomeness.
Navynest- My mom would totally disagree with you! :)
GA- Oh yeah, it's his fourth child, I swear. I took it around town to run a few errands, and I felt like I had to post a disclaimer on it: "I am not a kiddie-toucher or a kidnapper." Totally embarassing.
Post a Comment