1/22/10

Keep your hands, feet, and opinions to yourself.

Remember when you were little, and you almost inevitably heard an adult say, "Keep your hands and feet to yourself!" Well, they were right, but I think we should also include "opinions."

I was grocery shopping at the commissary this afternoon with the boys. Since I had left the Bjorn at the house, I had to push both boys in the double stroller while tugging along a grocery cart behind me. With a little finesse, I think I pulled it off (albeit, a little slower than I had hoped). The entire time, I kept running into the same people, most of which thought the boys were really cute and adorable. But this one old, dirty hippie just kept giving me dirty looks. Must go with the dirtiness.

Anyway, as I'm changing the baby in the parking lot from yet another most-poopy-diaper-ever, I walk to the trash can to throw it away. Who comes driving up next to me but the dirty hippie in his dirty, beat-up truck, and he says, "You should really use reusable diapers" then drives away.

Well, I got so pissed that I said, "How about you shut the f*** up?" as he was driving off. The men around me looked shocked (apparently, I don't look like I should be saying those things), and the women smiled really big.

I was so ready to get into an altercation with him. First, keep your preaching to yourself. A stranger in a parking lot at the grocery store is the wrong time, place, and person. The only people one should preach to are people you know well. It's just rude and offensive to preach to strangers. Second, reusable diapers are almost as environmentally-unfriendly as disposable, when you factor in the energy use it takes to clean them. And third, I think I'm doing everything I can to be a good mom, and I don't need a judgemental, condescending asshole to criticize me. I'm already hard on myself- I don't need other people to be. Oh, and fourth, your pick-up truck is about environmentally friendly as burning styrofoam, so take your own damn advice.

No comments: