7/31/09

Yesterday was a great day!

Unfortunately, that title was laden with sarcasm. Yesterday sucked a little.

Hubby and I had the great idea to bring Puppy and LB to the dog park. It was a gorgeous day, and we were all ready to have some fun. Hubby even found a brand new tennis ball in the garage- what a treat for Puppy!

Anyway, we drove over and parked the car. The dog park has two sections, one large area for big dogs and one smaller area for smaller dogs. Both are completely fenced in and segregated, so it's nice. Even though Puppy is less than the 35 lb maximum for the small dog area, we take him to the big dog area... mostly because he gets freaked out by the little yip-yip dogs.

As soon as he was inside the fence, the two big dogs there were all over him, sniffing, barking, "playing". I thought maybe they just had to get used to Puppy, so we stayed, but took him to the other side of the park. That didn't last long, since the dogs were all off leashes, and the other dogs (including a third that had shown up) made their way over. I don't know what happen to instigate it, but suddenly, they were chasing Puppy, trying to bite him, and Puppy kept running and yelping, the poor thing.

Hubby broke up the dog fight and we immediately left. The owners of the other dogs did nothing to break up the fight, and Puppy left with slobber on his back where the other dogs had tried to bite him.

It just kills me that this park is supposed to be friendly and the dogs in housing are not supposed to be aggressive, and this happens! It was horrible to watch poor Puppy being attacked by these dogs and knowing I couldn't do anything... and it was really scary to know that we had LB with us! Puppy isn't really an alpha dog at all- he's so laidback and timid and if Hubby hadn't been there to break it all up, I'm sure we would have been taking Puppy to the vet.

1 comment:

NHGirl said...

We now know that Puppy was actually bitten twice. Poor thing! And if I see those other dogs again, security is getting a call and they WILL be banned from the park.