4/19/10

Stupid baby names

Really, it's time we stop it with the "unique, hip, and totally unusual" baby names. They are neither of the above; they are stupid.

When I was preggers with LB, the ultrasound tech told me that one lady actually named her kid Abcde, pronounced Ab-sed-ee. It's ridiculous. In school, that kid is going to have his milk money stolen or get sky-high wedgies just for that. Good one, Mom.

Although, it's looking like he'll be in good company. It's trendy now to name your kid something completely off-the-wall; what's up with that?? When did people start thinking that Rylan would be a good name? It just sounds like the mom was hopped up on too much morphine when filling out the birth certificate, or that she's completely uneducated and can't spell correctly. Whatever the reason, it doesn't sound right.

I know parents try to get creative, but there has to be a limit. A friend of mine, whose parents are Brian and Anne, came up with Brianne, which is already a nice, normal name. Totally appropriate use of mushing mom and dad's names together. But what if Hubby and I would have done the same? Lawn? Shissa? Nope, sorry, doesn't fly.

It think it's nice that there are so many creative people out there. I do. Being a musician, I can appreciate that. I just wish that creativity was directed to something artsy, like painting or singing, not your child's name which he/she has to live with for the rest of their life.

Please people, stop trying so damn hard. And stop competing with each other for the trendiest name; there's no prize at the end, I swear.

No comments: