11/17/10

Dear dentist, thanks for the exorcism

So, I've figured out how to get the crazy toddler temper tantrums to stop: take the kids to the dentist.

I had an appointment today for a cleaning, which I totally forgot about.  I didn't feel like calling a sitter at the last minute, so I pack up a humongous diaper bag, plopped the kids in the car, and drove to the dentist, praying and pleading for the best.

LB was pissed because I took off his football pajamas, then wouldn't let him wear his robot pajamas.  He wanted fishies, then juice, then an apple, then a book, then a flashlight, etc.  JC was pleasant, but the poor kid is a sniffling mess right now.  Both of them let me know exactly how unhappy they were.

I showed up and apologized for the company.  I said we can reschedule, but I was told that it was actually good to bring the kids, so they get to experience the dentist a little.  We waited.  LB touched everything in the waiting room about a million times.  The boys both then demanded apples, which I thankfully had.  LB asked a bunch of questions and pestered had conversations with the girls at the desk, while JC flirted with just about every person in the waiting room.  But once we got into the exam room, magical things started happening.

Silence overcame both boys.

I think there was a lot to look at, and it really helped that they had a little flat screen TV tuned to the Disney Channel.  The boys sat there (almost) the whole time, watching Special Agent Oso, and just took it all in.  It was the most quiet part to my day, including nap time.  I can't believe I actually enjoyed going to the dentist.

PS- No cavities and everything is just dandy.  Woo hoo!

Anyway, the boys both got new toothbrushes and LB was given a little hand-held game, which is currently in his death grip- it's his new favorite toy.  He even got a "ride" in the exam chair, which he thought was really cool.  They were both fantastically well-behaved, although a lot of my thanks goes to the staff, who kept peeking in and oohing and aahing over them and playing little games with them.

I'm seriously looking forward to my cleaning in May.

1 comment:

Jess said...

YAY! Glad the dentist visit went well and woohoo for no cavities. I am totally dreading mine. :P I will be taking the munchkin next month for the first time... and am little reluctant. We tried it last year and she totally freaked out on everyone that came within an inch of her lol.