It's been an interesting past few weeks. I had an abdominal CT scan done, and it turns out I don't have a hernia. Woo hoo! That's good news. And here's some more good news: my PCM said that the diastasis recti was bad enough to require plastic surgery to get it fixed, so hopefully (fingers and toes crossed) I'll be able to get an abdominoplasty (aka, tummy tuck) covered by Tricare. WOO HOO! I mean, it sucks to know that my boys tore me a new one, in several ways, but considering I was thinking of a tummy tuck anyway, it'll be nice to know that I can get my abs repaired and look less like a deflated blimp at the same time.
So that's the good news.
I'm a little on the fence about how I feel about the next bit of news. In a way, I also see it as good news.... good news because I knew there was something off and finally a doctor took us seriously and saw it, too. But I still haven't really come to terms with it. Anyway, LB was diagnosed with Asperger's. It's on the autistic spectrum, but fortunately not incredibly debilitating. It mostly affects his social skills and since he's a smart kid, he'll be able to learn the skills that he lacks (skills that are intuitive to the average person, like appropriate ways of communication or the whole sense of safety thing I was talking about just a few weeks ago). The doc said there will come a day when you won't be able to tell that he has Asperger's, and then he won't need therapy or an IEP... but it'll be a long road until that point, and I'm just not sure I can do it.
I mean, we only get what we can handle, right? I guess I'm just doubting my ability to be a special needs mom, but I just want to say, "Really, world? Really? Am I really the best person to parent this little guy who will need so much attention and advocating?" Just hope that I can do it.
Anyway, so that's where my head is. It really isn't on anything else, although I have been taking the time to catch up with some of my favorite bloggy blogs and generally lurking around the web. So it may seem like I've fallen off the face of the planet, but I swear, I'm here! I'm just a little distracted.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment