5/23/12

OAM

Over Achieving Mom... I saw one the other day.  Highlighted hair, Chanel sunglasses perched on her head so she could take a billion pictures of her kids on a carnival ride with her SLR camera, pushing a Bob stroller that contained several bottles of Voss water and a Louis Vuitton purse.  Her daughter was in a dainty dress, while her son looked like he stepped out of a baby Gap ad.

I remind you, they were at a carnival.  For a Viking Festival.

First, I was slightly shocked that someone would dress their daughter in a dress for riding carnival rides.  The poor kid- she kept pulling at the hem to avoid a Britney/Paris/Miley incident.  And both kids looked totally prim and proper.... and miserable.  The mom kept bouncing around, saying, "Smile for the camera, Makenzie!  Look over here, Braden!"  Seriously, does it surprise you that she named her kids two of the most popular, annoying names ever?

Also, what bugged me about the whole thing is that we were at a carnival.  No one there was dumb enough to wear anything name-brand around cotton candy, bratwurst, ice cream, soda, etc... though I'm sure her kids were not allowed to imbibe in such junk... which brings me to another issue I had with it.  It's a friggin carnival- let the kids have some fun and eat way too much sugar and, I don't know, maybe crack a smile.

I felt bad for the kids.  This mom will probably create a collage with all the carnival pics for future boyfriends or girlfriends to see.  And no one will see the cute outfits, or the Barbie mom behind the camera... they will see the bummed-out expressions on the kids' faces.  This OAM had the unique ability to take something ridiculously fun like a carnival and turn it into something frustrating for the kids and painful to see for the witnesses.

Congrats, OAM.  You got your way.  Your children won't consume high fructose corn syrup or partially hydrogenated soybean oil, and they will look great as they stare forlornly at the other kids licking melting ice cream off their Target t-shirts.  Go you!  I hope you don't blow too much of your money on Louis Vuitton and Chanel, because your kids are gonna need it for "Mommy doesn't love me" therapy.