5/21/12

Let's Get Real

Inspired by a blogger that I enjoy reading (even though I'm terrible about commenting- so sorry, L to the third), I've decided to make Mondays "Let's Get Real" days by linking up with The Daily Wyatt.  It's hard to pick my first topic- I have a lot of little secrets, things that I don't talk about, things I don't want to say but probably need to.  So I picked the first topic suggestion that was put out- a body part or personality trait that you are self-conscious about.  Immediately, I noticed the sentence ended with a preposition, and I thought about writing about my grammar pickiness... but I'm not really self-conscious about it.  I kinda like it.  So I'm going to go with my nose.

I never noticed my nose much until it grew.  It was a cute button nose when I was younger, but suddenly sprouted into this roman monstrosity on my face sometime around middle school.  Even worse, I had a gray mole that was also growing on the right side, in what I called "the witch's spot".  Seriously, it looked like I had dressed up as a witch for Halloween, but forgotten to take off the wart.  When I was 16, my doctor didn't like the appearance of the mole very much, and it was removed by a plastic surgeon.  It also took away some mocking that I'd experienced in school, which I really appreciated. 

But short of a rhinoplasty, there's not much I can do about it.  I have a big bump and it's crooked.  The cartilage at the tip of my nose is skewed to the left.  Plus, it's always stuffy since I have allergies to everything.  When someone is taking a picture, I try to look slightly down and left, which brings out the best angle, but if I forget, or don't realize someone is taking my picture, it dominates the photo. 

Hubby says he likes my nose.  My mom says it's "regal".  I find it just simply too big for my face.  I would get a nose job, but now that I'm in my 30s, it seems so vain.  I mean, half my life I have one nose, then the other half I'd have another?  Doesn't that seem silly?

Silly or not, it doesn't change the fact that I hate my nose.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I didn't even notice it when we met! It didn't seem out of place to me:) I totally understand about not liking a body part though...I hate that my ears stick out!