10/24/08

Reminiscing...


My 10 year high school reunion is coming up. I'm not going, since it's on the other side of the country and airfare is ridiculous right now, but it got me thinking. I also was IMing a friend from high school that I don't talk to very frequently, and we were just trying to remember names and chat about old times.


It's funny how things work out- people always change just when you think they won't. I was flipping through my yearbook (initially, looking for a last name for said friend, but then got distracted), and reading what people had written in there. What a different time. I didn't realize how many people wrote nice things in mine... maybe because I was too busy being a bitch (I'll admit it, I wasn't the nicest person in high school).


And with all those great people, I remember all the not-so-great people. The ones that called me a "fat cow", and the ones that said I should have never been born, because every unwanted pregnancy should result in an abortion (ouch). And it's funny to see the people who were genuinely nice, but caught up in a circle of bitchy friends. High school can be so dramatic...


But it's even more entertaining to see how people have changed (or haven't changed, really) and what they are doing now. One girl who I thought was totally all-american is now living in England. One girl who I thought was really nice turned out to be a snob. It's funny how people's true colors show once they get away from the stereotypes and the cliques... You can really see who was true to themself in high school, and who was just faking it to be accepted.


It makes me a little sad that I won't be going to the reunion. It would be fun to see most of those people again. And given that I am always living so far away, it would be nice to see ANYONE from back home again! Perhaps I'll try for the 15 year, or 20 year one.

No comments: